Saturday, March 27, 2004

Kari: I decided to call Ariana and invite her over too, but when I heard Chandler's voice on the machine I knew where to find her. So I made a call over there, and asked her to come out of there, we'd talk when she got to the house, today had certainly not been my best day, and it was clear that it hadn't been hers either.
Ariana: It was Kari. I had half expected it to be Breeze. She wanted me to come over and because she sounded like I felt, I agreed.
Kari: I took a few minutes to talk with Ariana when she arrived, I told her about what I had done when Eagle came in the door, and what I planned to do over the next few weeks. And then I told her she should go to the memorial service, it wasn't like she'd be able to change her mind when it was over, I didn't want her to regret not going.
Ariana: Kari, it's not just that she wants me to go, she wants me to help her plan it! I can't and I won't! I'm so angry with him I can't see straight. I'm sure that what he wanted was on that tape or in his will! I stopped. I looked around the big friendly room . Everything was as I remembered it. I wiped my nose and eyes on a hankiechif. I was walking around touching things, remembering and then Eagle came in from the other room. I don't know where I had thought he was but seeing him come into the room and put his arm around Kari and then smile at me - It nearly killed me and I ran . I'm sorry Kari , I'll call later -bye Eagle ! I wasn't any good to any one right now. I was a horrid friend and I should have stayed. She needed me but I just couldn't do it right now and I hoped that she could forgive me.

Kari: Ariana! Crap. Wonder when she'll come down again, now that she's been spooked. I wasn't going to worry about it, it wouldn't help anyone. Did I hear some one say something about going for a ride on one of the horses? Hunter, Pandora? I took them out for a ride around the land, we'd be back for dinner, I promised.
Hunter: Thanks gram! Your the best gram I have. Can we ride up to the cabin?
Kari: Not today sweetie, I was thinking we'd follow a different trail today.
Hunter : Gram had never taken us this way before and before we knew it Pandora and I found ourselves back at the horse barn. It seemed to me a very short ride but, when I looked at my watch I found we had been gone an hour. I wondered if they ate without us. Panda was turning into I don't know what. Yes I do, a girl !
Pandora: I loved riding on this property, all the little things hidden everywhere. I wish this was our place, and I could ride off whenever I wanted. Hunter was a boy, no getting around it, creepy things, slimy things, and all the other disgusting boy stuff. I think I'll need to ask mom to take me shopping, then I'll ask if we can live here. Maybe, probably not though.
Hunter: Panda, what do you want for your birthday? Do you know? Your going to be a TEENager you know! That's when girls turn rotten, isn't it mom?
Marijuana: I was dumbfounded at his remark, No it isn't Hunter. Boys are just as likely to be rotten as girls, and you're going to tell me right now exactly where you got that idea from, do you understand me?
Hunter: Mom was angry. I set my jaw and didn't want to tell her. School, was all I said, it was true.
Pandora: Go ahead Hunter, tell her. We'd heard the what the other parents had to say about mom. I'd heard boys talking about me, well apple not falling far from the tree thing. Come on, if you don't say it I will.
Hunter : I narrowed my eyes and glared at her. FINE ! In health, I threw at her, they start menstruating and every one knows that boys don't develop as fast as girls! Satisfied I yelled at Panda!
Mari: Enough. Panda, I'll talk with you later. I was calm now, and took Hunter aside. Hunter, it's ok. Yes, girls start menstruating, and yes they develop faster than boys, but that doesn't make them rotten. Do you understand?
Hunter : Mom ,teenagers are not nice to their parents or their brother and sisters. Their hormones go crazy only girls go crazy first. Isn't that right! I knew I was right.
Mari: Hunter honey, everybody is different, not all teenagers are mean to their parents and family. Being a teenager isn't easy, you'll understand that when you get older. Now, let's not give Panda a hard time about things that may or may not happen.
Hunter : Ok, I won't . I chewed on my lip. After I made sure mom knew I was right . Another thought had come into my head. I had heard some of the things boys were saying to Pandora but, I wasn't sure I should say anything to mom about . I decided not to say anything yet. OK I said again, can I go now Gram is going to play cards with me.
Mari: Go ahead, tell gram no betting.
Hunter: I wasn't going to do that . I had saved up a lot of pennies for this. Are you ready to play gram? They aren't playing too are they? I sighed as I walked over to the old maid game that was now in progress.
Kari: Your game will come, relax. You have your pennies ready?
Hunter: I gave her my raised eyebrows, like I'd seen daddy do, and very grown-up like said, do frogs hop?
Kari: All I could do was laugh, I had seen that exact same look so many times between Eagle and Breeze, and now it seemed that Hunter would be carrying the tradition as well. We (Chablis, River and myself) finished up our game, and I took them to the play room, they could be as artistic as they pleased, as long as they stayed in this room, they understood, and I went to play cards with Hunter.
I had all the cards dealt by the time she came back down stairs, and all my pennies counted in neat rows. So gram, I said to her , how much can you afford to lose tonight? Do I get to stay overnight? Grama won all my pennies, by the end of the game. That was alright one of these days I would win. Grama - umm you aren't going to go away anywhere umm are you? If Grampa marries Ell ?
Kari: Grampa Rudy is a little young for me, don't you think? Hunter, do you remember grampa Breeze? I pulled out a photo album, It's been quite a while since he died, so it's ok if you don't. We looked through the photo album, beautiful pictures, of times when nothing mattered but being happy and being happy meant being with those you loved.
Hunter: I looked at grama appraisingly and answered truthfully, I don't know I said. When she first asked about granpa Breeze I wasn't sure what I remembered. I had been told a lot though. Grama got out a photo album and as we looked through it, she told me about the days they had been taken and what was happening. It was like listening to a story. Then I saw a picture of a man holding a guitar a child sandwiched in between. Me and Daddy! I exclaimed looking up into grama's face right? Using the word daddy had embarrassed me and my cheeks felt hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment