Monday, March 22, 2004

2406 December Mercedes: I packed up my things and headed for Chicago, P.J. would be with Kari, and I had a benefit concert to do while I was there visiting Keely and Caroline. I was glad that her pull-out sofa was comfortable, she always had her spare room rented out to someone or other. I walked up to the door, and was greeted with a hug, and a swift hand to my pocket as I entered the door. Caroline, give that back now I told her. She did so, and went to get Keely.
I wondered who was cooking if Keely was upstairs, and went to the kitchen. BJ! What are you doing here? I mean, are you-- Keely came into the kitchen, and realized that we already knew each other. I wouldn't be able to get into the hotel until tomorrow night, and so I had pushed it back until Wednesday evening, I'd check in before the benefit. Keely! I gave her a big hug, ready to go shopping? I need a new dress, and some Christmas gifts for everyone. Caroline, Keely and myself went shopping. I found a dress to match my favorite earrings, and then I went ahead with spending on the girls. Keely needed shoes, clothes, makeup, and just stuff in general, so I bought a bunch of gift certificates. For Caroline, I bought some clothes, a couple of albums, and decided to pay for her trip to the ranch that summer. The dog was easy, just had to find a pretty collar and lead for her. BJ, well. That was another story entirely; I'd have to write his gift when we got back to Keely's house. I was up nearly all night going through all the little notes and things I had written down, I woke to find a note from Keely telling me where to find all the papers I had fallen asleep in. Keely had gone to work for the morning, and it didn't seem that I was the last one up, so I made breakfast. I could finally relax about gifts and stuff, it was all finished. I had gotten three tickets for the benefit concert, prepared for the house guest (renter) to come too. I left BJ's ticket with his plate, and the same with Caroline's. I went out onto the porch and sat down with my food. I could only imagine what had been going on while he was gone, and I didn't like it. I wasn't normally jealous, but he was living with my grand-daughter, and I couldn't see anything but the two of them together in bed when I closed my eyes. I wished I had just taken the stay at the hotel when Ell offered it. I could have been spared this agony. Too bad I hadn't known he was here before I came.

BJ: I knew she was coming and it was obvious that she didn't know I would be here. She rushed around like a bee finally escaping with Caroline and Keely into the frenzy of Christmas shoppers. I finished cleaning up the kitchen and thought about home and family. I made all my Christmas calls, and had all my gifts wrapped -I was giving Keely - 1day a month full beauty treatment, at one of those places that take care of you top to bottom- for a year. She needed the pampering and Caroline couldn't take this from her. I was thinking of gold handcuffs for Caroline but discarded the idea. I decided to go give Caroline dancing lessons- whatever kind she wanted and if she needed a partner I would pay for them too, for a year. I had only a dim idea of what dances people were doing now but I planned to find out because that is what I decided I would give myself for Christmas -Ballroom and beyond. Mercedes? I had found a gorgeous deep green emerald necklace
the emerald was in the shape of a tear drop and there were three diamonds above it leading to the chain of diamonds and emeralds that would encircle
her neck. I thought of her neck and stopped . At the last minute I had gotten Caroline a pair of running shoes. Keel, I would give a pair of ruby earrings nothing gaudy just a deep blood red. Like her lips. I knew better than to put anything under the tree. I was gone in the morning before anyone else was up. I was on air early early mornings. I had to take my runs when I could fit them in . Usually after work round 11am. I would be back at the house at noon. Which is when I came face to face with Mercedes, as I opened the door. I guess she had just returned, when I came in the door. We stood so close and she managed to look me in the face this time and said you hungry? Yes, as a matter of fact, I am, are you I asked? Where is Caroline, do you know ? I didn't wait for an answer I unlocked my door leaving it open and went in turned on the shower.
Mercedes: Caroline is busy wrapping gifts in her room, I thought about following him in, and paused at his door.
BJ: I was coming out to get my latte before taking my shower, when I saw Mercedes standing in the doorway. You said Caroline is in her room, wrapping gifts? I asked. I walked over to her put my hands on her shoulders and turned her sideways so I could squeeze by to get my latte fix. I expected Caroline to come out anytime now she usually did. She liked to talk until she figured my water was cold they go back to her room with a sandwitch or something and I would be left with a cold shower or no shower until later. It was her idea of a good time. Mercedes remained quiet and still as I returned with my latte, leaving me to squeeze by her again. I only went part-way in stopping in the middle and reached over her head and set my cup on the dresser. I bent my head down to her, the thought of playing with her, teasing her flashed through my mind but that was all it was, a flash. I didn't play games with Mer. She wanted me but she some how needed me to tell her it was alright. I kissed her and while I kissed her I pulled her to me shutting the door and locking it. Just a sec I breathed into her ear but she didn't let go of me. I managed to turn the shower off as clothes flew in all directions. I felt the urgency in her and matched it with my own. There would be no way of keeping this from her grand daughters on the other side of that door. I had never done this here in Keely's house before. She hadn't said anything about it but I hadn't. I held Mer in my arms and slept.

Caroline: I heard BJ's shower turn on, but when I got down there, it was off already, he had his coffee, and great-grams was nowhere to be found. Then I realized what was going on, and I shuddered at the thought of it. It wasn't pleasant thinking about mom having sex, much less my great grandmother! I wonder if mom knew about this? Not this precise moment, but the history of it.

Mercedes: There was no better Christmas gift than being in his arms again. I lay there in his arms until I was forced to move, it was time to get ready for work. I tried not to wake him, and made sure to lock his door behind me as I left. Keely was waiting in the Kitchen, holding my dress and bag of things I had set aside for that night. Thank you sweety. I handed her the remaining two tickets to the show, I had left one near BJ's Latte already.
Keely: Grams, I thought about asking her what was going on between them, but it wasn't any of my business, I love you, we'll be there.
Mer: I love you too Keely, the red boxes are for you and Caroline to wear tonight. I ran out the door in time to meet the Limo that would take me where I needed to go. Sound checks, make-up, hair. It seemed that they wanted me to look old. Geneva was aggravating me with her nonsense. Listen Geneva, I do not have grey hair, saggy arms, or wrinkles. I worked too hard to get rid of all that fat, you'll not see me looking old on purpose; unless I'm dead and have no control over it, End of story. James are they here yet?
Keely: I opened up the boxes that grams had directed us to wear, and nearly fainted, what in the heck! Caroline and I got ready to go, we'd take a cab these clothes were not for wearing on the bus. Grams indeed had other plans, no bus, no cab, a limo.
BJ: I woke took my shower pulled on a pair of jeans and picked up my cup. I drank the cold latte as I examined the ticket she had left for me. Her concert was tonight. I opened my door and headed for the latte, my drug of choice. I drank two cups while I mixed up the concoction I would drink instead of eating . I could hear the scurrying of women getting ready for a big date. It always made me smile . Shades of my youth Skyler always tried not to scurry and most times she succeeded . She was more tomboy than girl so the dress thing only happened rarely . That was probably why I smiled now, it was a pleasant memory. I finished my drink and went to get dressed. My tux, my new one, fit beautifully and I was ready to leave. I set the ticket Mercedes had left for me on the table. We hadn't talked at all since she had arrived, just briefly . I didn't think she would bring me a ticket, I had bought two already and would shortly be collecting my date. My life had just become very complicated again and I had made it happen. If I could just have resisted the temptation - it was pointless to think about it. I would never resist her, I didn't want to. I explained to Keely about the ticket and my date and asked that she give my apologies to Mercedes. I picked up my dress coat and left, Florance would be waiting.
Keely: I knew grams was being dumb. I should have let grams stay in the hotel, should have suggested it. I went to see Gram as soon as we got there, to let her know that BJ had already had plans to come with someone else, and didn't need his ticket. I hated the look I saw on her face, I'd seen it in the mirror so many times myself. Gram wasn't the kind of woman who made a big deal about things, and she even looked as though she had been expecting it to happen! All she did was smile at me, and tell me to go have a good time, she'd make sure Caroline got home if the need arose.
Mercedes: Keely left the dressing room, and I tossed a glass vase across the room, smashing it against one of the mirrors. I decided to wear the jewelry that had been loaned by one of the jewlers. Diamonds, lots of them. Let him think it didn't bother me, James- go and give this to someone who looks decent from the crowd of people watching everyone come in. I handed him the ticket and he went. I did my set, and when I was finished singing I went out to sit on a bench. A familiar set of hands touched my shoulders. I turned around, and saw a face I hadn't seen since I was just starting out with this business. Steven? Hey Mercedes, what troubles you? he asked. Love Steven, the one way kind. Steven did his best to take my mind off BJ, and certainly it worked. At the end of the night, Keely had met someone, and I took Caroline home. I made a call, and bought BJ a set of cufflinks, they would be silver and gold cards, and would suit his tuxedo beautifully. Christmas was friday. Caroline and I dressed up the tree, and went to bed. In the morning, I made breakfast; enough for everyone, and then lunch. Lunch was BLT sandwiches, and orange juice. Keely was home for lunch, and then she was out the door as BJ was walking in. I was cleaning up after the girls, and looking for cookie recipes, it wouldn't be Christmas without the cookies, or the fruitcake, or...

No comments:

Post a Comment