Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Ransom: Grams had thrown me with this one, my personal life ? No , I don't have any girl friends of any kind. They don't like me I told her.
Dionne: How could they not like you? I think it's all in your head, or maybe it's just that you aren't trying?
Ransom: I'm not interested and I'm not enough of a bad boy for them.
Dionne: I decided that this wasn't going anywhere with him, so I dropped it, and gave him a big hug. It was getting late, and I suggested he get home before his parents did, so that he could break the news to them.
Ransom: Russ hadn't had much to say. I guessed that he didn't think it was his place to. He gave me a hug as I was leaving,take care of your self Ransom and always watch your back was the advise he gave me. I hadn't expected the hug, just a clap on the shoulder or something. I kissed grams and left.
I got home in time to walk in the door with mom and dad. They wanted to know where I had been. Grams is what I told them. Then the usual questions -how are they did I see the girls etc etc. I waited for them to sit down and take off their shoes of something but they didn't they just said good night and headed for their room. Mom - Dad -I would like to talk to you Tomorrow Ransom dad said , were really tired. It has to be tonight I told them in a more forceful tone. They stopped and looked back at me. I waited.
Lacey: Steph and I came back into the room and sat down. Alright Ransom, what is it? I held Stephanie's hand and Ransom cleared his throat.
Ransom: I have enlisted . I'm going to be flying.
Stephanie: Enlisted? Flying? I couldn't believe my ears, I squeezed Laceys hand, and looked to see how he was taking the news.
Lacey: I didn't know what to say but , I suddenly knew how mom must have felt . No, it must have been worse for her there was a war being waged then . Have you pledged yet I asked him ? When do you leave and did you tell your grandmother?
Ransom: Yes I did tell grams and yes I have taken the oath. I am going I leave tonight. Would you tell the rest of the family for me?
Lacey: Tonight , no Ransom not tonight ?
Ransom : I'm sorry but I couldn't take any chances on your trying to change things. I picked up my bag , hugged mom and dad and left.
Stephanie: Ransom! It was too late, he was gone. I knew why I had wanted more than one child and wished that things hadn't happened the way they had. It was his responsibility to explain himself to the family, not mine. I couldn't and wouldn't do it. I poured a glass of juice and headed for bed, numb from what had just happened.
Lacey: Stephanie, she seemed not to hear me, pouring her juice and going to bed. I stood there and watched her go. Somehow I knew this would turn out to be my fault, whether it was or not . I sat down in the big leather chair and stared at the wall in front of me.
Steph: I stopped halfway realizing that Lacey wasn't with me. I turned and went back for him, it wasn't his fault. I put my arms around him, I love you Lacey.
Lacey: I stood - and I you Steph . I can't think what to do, there must be something,I told her as we walked to our room.
The next morning I got a call from someone who shall remain nameless. Lacey ? Yes I answered ? Is there a favor I can do for you? I understand you have a problem you might want a cure for is that right? Can I help?

No comments:

Post a Comment