Sunday, April 04, 2004

BJ: Mer went to sleep almost as soon as I came in. I decided to lie down with her I needed some sleep. I cuddled up with her and slept.
Mer: When I finally actually woke up, BJ was sleeping next to me. I kissed his cheek, and tried to wake him, he had to work tonight.
BJ: With a little nudging from Mer I woke and how are you I asked and after her reply I headed for the shower. I had almost forgotten about him. He sat on the floor with a keyboard, paper and a pencil. PJ was keeping him company. I took my shower and dressed, then went back to Mer.
Mer: You look absolutely smashing my dear. I gave him a kiss and a smile.
BJ: Smashing ? Well I guess that's good. I didn't ask about Russ. I would just leave that subject alone for now. I'm going to leave now. I'll stop somewhere and eat on the way. Russ will be here so you'll be alright? I'll see you in the morning night. I kissed Mer and then left.
Mer: I'll be fine, night. BJ left, and I went to see what Russ was doing now. He was on the floor with his musical keyboard, pen and a notebook. I sat on the sofa with a blanket, and asked Russ if he wanted to watch a movie, I was going to watch one of the newer ones that had come out if he was interested.
Russ: I looked up and Mer and then down over at PJ , she doesn't like my music . A newer one sure but, first are you hungry? She didn't seem to be so I carefully put the keyboard away with pen and note pad in the case and set it against a wall. I returned to the floor next to PJ and relaxed as the movie started, handing her a packet and taking one for myself. Popcorn- just hold it like this between your hands and it pops, see. I showed her how and the main feature began-a comedy. It was one I hadn't seen and I laughed,glad to see that it was actually funny!
As the week went on I left them alone when BJ was there, most of the time anyway. I my time with Dionne' was maybe lunch and Friday and Saturday. Claude and Penny got to see a lot more of their Aunt Mercedes. She was getting stronger and looking more than like herself again. BJ did his disappearing act every now and then but for the most part he was there for her. I was relieved to see that. I just didn't understand why he didn't commit to her fully and I wasn't about to ask. He in turn never asked why I was there. Sheridan came to visit a few times, having heard that Mer was ill. Brian Doyle came with her a couple of them. Don't remember what he was doing at that time. It didn't matter their lives were so on the edge all the time so it seemed . I hoped that once in a while they managed to find some peace. The end of the second week I released Mercedes from my care. She had come along faster than I had thought she would and more importantly she hadn't done anything to set herself back. I kissed her quickly on the lips and pronounced her free! Dionne' clapped and I kissed her too but much better. The girls just rolled their eyes, they wanted to go to dinner. We met Kari and Ariana at the restaurant and celebrated with champagne.
Mercedes: I was glad to finally be rid of Russ, I knew that BJ would leave again; when wasn't important anymore. We went up the mountain, and all the mental preparations I had made to let him go flew off the mountain with a bird.
BJ: We were back on the mountain looking over the country for miles around. I stood behind Mer and held her close as I put my arms around her. It felt so good to be here again even without the climb. The weather had cooperated it was sunny and there was a slight breeze. I bent my head and asked why did you want to come Mercedes ? You haven't told me. I turned her around to face me. What is it I asked?
Mer: I wanted to make sure I got up here again, just in case. I thought about telling him the rest, but didn't. I couldn't say those words that would attempt to end things with BJ.
BJ: Okay -I told her. If your sure. We had our picnic and just enjoyed being here. Mer, I have been offered a job on the space station. They want me to help set up holi-deck programming. I'm thinking of taking it and your the first one to know. What do you think? It would mean a huge increase in pay and full health care-two months vacation with pay starting right away. Very little contact with people and no interaction except with holograms. That should give you the pro & cons.
Mercedes: What could I say? I felt my heart breaking, he was considering a commitment to fake people, and he wanted me to give him an objective opinion! It really sounds like a great opportunity, but maybe it's an opportunity for someone else. I just can't see you holed up with just holograms for any extended length of time. Of course, I'm no good at reading people, even people I've known my entire life. What are your thoughts about it, does this sound like something you'd want to do?

BJ: Her answer to me was, that she couldn't see me not being around real people for that amount of time. That was one of the big hesitations I had about taking the job. Mer, there is the other part of this offer, an opportunity to serve as ambassador. Of good will perhaps, not sure. I started packing things up. I'm not sure I'm ready to be someone of that import at this time in my life. We should be getting back I wouldn't want to deal with Russ if you became ill. I helped her into the car finished packing up then drove back to her loft. I stayed with Mer until later that night and then left. She knew that I would leave it was a regular thing for a Saturday night. I kissed her good bye and took off for Keely's and my room. When I got there I let myself in as usual. I didn't feel like latte . I searched for something else to drink. I didn't want to be up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment