Sunday, April 11, 2004

Ell: I was simply skittish Rudy. I was fine until Kari started talking about showers and wedding planning, our wedding . I can't explain why it is that I can plan a whole tour date bookings, weddings, funerals and handle the most outrageous temper-tantrums, almost everything, as long as it isn't that close or personal to me. I had been standing and gesturing with my hands, now I sat down next to Rudy turning my body to face him and absentmindedly playing with his fingers as I gazed into his face waiting for him to open my eyes to the truth of things.
Rudy: Ell, it's as simple as this; you've spent too much time worrying about other people. It's just easier to deal with other people than yourself, because you haven't done anything for yourself, you do know that Kari will throw you a party anyway right? She's very good at knowing what to do for other people, and how to surprise them also. Ell, I think maybe you should think about how much you are willing to do for people. We don't get paid to plan weddings for our clients, or funerals, or any of that sort of thing, unless they are getting paid, neither are we. Thus you found yourself completely up your clients rear ends, like you absolutely needed to kiss ass or you'd go out of business or something equally awful. I love you Ell, and we're going on vacation next week, we leave Wednesday morning. NO WORK involved--period.
Ell: I felt myself stiffen , my head where? Because I care? And then when Rudy told me he loved me and I started to relax then said vacation- no work- Rudy what would I do with no work! I asked him unbelievingly.
Rudy: There's plenty for us to do hon, trust me.
Ell: I do Rudy, trust you that is. We couldn't do this in stages could we? Or are you going to tell me that I don't do stages well? Where are we going?
Rudy: Where? We're going somewhere that you can't sneak work in. How does one do vacation in stages?
Ell: You know start with a walk in the park or something like that. Rudy, honey, where could we go that we couldn't work? Forget all that. I love you and I will do my best to relax and stay, I said the next words really fast -away from work!
Rudy: Ell, we've walked in the park. There will be no work, no paper for you to write on, no phones for you to use, and no transports either. No computers, none of it. I'm pulling out all the artillery, you'll be too busy for work, understand me? I kissed her lightly, and held her close.
Ell: I think .. That I am beginning to, could we try that again?
Rudy: Most certainly darling.
Ell: I was dreaming, I knew I must be. Rudy was holding me close and calling me darling. This was fairy tale material but, I would go on living it for as long as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment