Friday, April 09, 2004

Lacey: I had never expected to hear from these people again. He was offering me my son's safety in exchange for what? I was fifty one now, what could I do for them?
He will be called Poppy from now on -in the interest of identification.
Poppy: Will you meet with us? I realize you are surprised so I will meet with you at the usual place in 3 days if the answer is yes-and Lacey-come prepared to leave.
Lacey: I set the phone back down quickly glancing over to see if Steph was awake. It didn't seem so. I was wide awake now and there was no way I would be sleeping anytime soon. Ransom would take a different route to get where he wanted to be if I closed this one. I had taught him to well. That was what you had to do to survive. I wouldn't go to that meeting. I would just wait and see what developed. Our son was safer just where he was right now.
I kissed Steph's forehead and left our bed, dressed and went to the kitchen. I helped myself to a cup of hot lemon water-I was trying to give up my morning caffeine. I opened the door to the patio and set the cup down and went to get the morning paper. When I came back with the paper I stood looking at the cup . I picked it up and tossed the contentedly on the lawn. I normally wouldn't have thought a thing about it . I went in and washed the cup out and made myself another cup and once again went to enjoy the morning. I hadn't done anything with that box Mom had talked to me about. I wondered if she --no she would have done something else with it. I had tried to tell her that I had done that put the other information there. She had been so upset though that I thought it would be best not to tell her. How could I tell her now or even ask for it? Steph, how could they expect me to just leave her ? What could I tell her to explain it? I hoped that they would just let it go if I didn't come but knew they wouldn't.
Stephanie: I woke, and figured that Lacey must have woken early, either on his own, or maybe not on his own. I had thought I heard the phone ring, but I was too sleepy to be sure. I went downstairs, to see Lacey tossing his water on the lawn, it had been a phone call. Lacey hon, did someone call this morning?
Lacey: I wondered how long she had been watching me . Yes, someone, didn't give a name though. It was a nuisance call, nothing important. They had just forced me to lie to my wife! I was amazed at how easily it came back to me. The honesty in my voice was what really scared me. Even I would believe me.
Steph: He sounded as honest as always, but I still wasn't sure. I'd let it go though.
Lacey: I was thinking of my father -Ransom that is -- I can remember him playing with me. He would sometimes sneak in when he should have been somewhere else. I remember their fights and I remember being scared, Everyone was scared he wanted us to go home to grandma and grandpa McGuire and Mom wouldn't . He was no saint and he didn't have to go that day. I...I'm sorry Steph, I don't know where that came from. I hope I've been a better husband than either of my fathers were. If anything should ever happen to me... sometimes ones past comes to bite him in the butt.. know that I love you and Ransom. I don't know why I'm being so morbid this morning. Maybe it's just Ransom's decision that has me upset.
Steph: Lacey, I love you and you're a wonderful husband. What do they want from you, and will Ransom be safe?
Lacey: They want me to owe them something. They made me an offer and I won't except it . Ransom is safest right where he is. I shouldn't be telling you anything Stephanie. It isn't safe for you to know anything but, if I should disappear they would be the reason. Alright lets cut through it-They offered to help us get Ransom back, stop him from going. They want me to to meet them and just leave, be ready to. Steph, Ransom would figure a way around it, I know he would, I would! We wouldn't gain anything. So I'm not going to the meet. I don't want to just walk out of the life we have. I don't want to leave you, I love you.
Steph: I love you Lacey, so all we can do is wait and see what happens then. Should we tell the family Ransom has left?
Lacey: Yes, we might as well . That's what he wanted us to do. The question is how to go about it. We certainly aren't going to call everyone up and tell them that way. You could let your parents know and ask them to pass the word if asked? It's not something we are going to throw a party about.
Steph: Alright. I'll call them now, get it over with. I called my parents and asked them to pass it on if asked. There, that's done with. I hate waiting, but that was the only option. Three days later, I wondered what would happen, how would these people deal with Lacey standing them up?

No comments:

Post a Comment