Monday, April 12, 2004

Lacey: When I didn't show up on the third day they would have their answer. If they couldn't control me -What did they want from me? I still couldn't figure it out and I had no idea what they would try next. I tried to think -was there something I had that they wanted-wouldn't they just ask me for it? None of it made sense to me. All I could do was wait and Steph would wait with me. I couldn't send her away, she wouldn't just go and I couldn't ask her to. That's when the phone rang! I jumped and dropped the glass I was holding. It splintered into a million pieces and the phone kept ringing.
Steph: I jumped when the phone rang, and I didn't' know if I should answer, or clean up the glass from the floor.
Lacey: I picked up the phone and heard -Hello, hello is anyone there? I recognized the voice, it was Row-with great relief I said hello
Rowena: Hi, how are you Lacey? Is Stephanie there I'd like to invite her to lunch.
Lacey: Yes, she is , and I'm alright. Hang on and I'll get her for you . I'm glad you called Row, Steph could use some time out of the house. I'll be right back.
Steph: Hi Row, how is everything?
Rowena: Can't complain, I called about lunch, can you make it - Peppe's at one o'clock?
Steph: I didn't want to leave Lacey alone, what if they came while I was out? I looked over at him, and he gave me his reassuring smile and nod. Yes, is that the one on third street?
Rowena: that's the one - we'll dish-see you then! Steph and I hadn't seen each other in a long time. I wanted to catch-up with her. Life just went by so fast .
Stephanie and I arrived at the same time. We did our hugging and kissing and then went in Peppe's . I felt like a teenager again-almost. It's so good to see you Steph!
Steph: It's been so long! What have you been doing with yourself?
Rowena: Trying to raise my daughter. She is a less demonstrative version of myself and too smart for her own good. She has no true focus. I wonder where she gets that from.
Steph: It would have to be you Row! I'm beginning to think that the obsession with flying spaceships is genetic or something. Ransom both told us about his plans, and left in the same night.
Rowena: That must have been difficult for you and Lacey. When did he leave and did he tell you when he would finish his training ? I understand that they do get time off before they get permanent assignments. It's just a bit of information I picked up from Ari. We were talking about his teaching in his youth. We don't talk about me. My youth is a mine field; that every now and then we tip toe through. The only safe time would be Montana. Speaking of which, have you heard from anyone? I haven't not Hailey, Vicki -anyone.
Steph: No actually I haven't. He left about 3 days ago, didn't tell us much at all. It's probably better that he didn't though. Tip-toeing around stories of Brian..
Rowena: Stephanie, not stories of Brian, of me. Most of my life is filled with
Brian and the things we did together, built together. He couldn't be closer to me if he were my brother. Ari just won't let himself understand.
By the way, I heard that Anita and Latham will be performing in town to raise money for the hospital. Will you and Lacey go? I'm going to try to get in touch with her so we can all get together sometime. You would come wouldn't you Steph? Stephanie, is there something else that's bothering you ? You seem a little tense.
Steph: I'm just a little frazzled still by Ransoms decision, and some unidentified person called looking to put Lacey in their debt. That's what I meant, I guess it didn't come out that way though. We definitely had planned on going, I just haven't gotten around to picking up the phone and calling people to see who else is coming.
Rowena: Don't worry about calling Steph, you have enough on you mind. What didn't come out the way you meant it, the Brien thing ? It's okay. The thing happening with Lacey would scare me too Steph . There are many things going on with Ari that I don't know about. Probably just as well, I imagine he doesn't want me losing my head or his.

No comments:

Post a Comment