Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Keely: This isn't happening. My daughter gone working at risk kids this summer; meant much time alone for me. I have no problem with this, it means I can bring dates home if I want, I can relax and take 2 hours in the tub if I want to even. Last year, Gram and Boyd ended a relationship over an affair with me. One day Boyd happened to be here for some event or another, at least that was his pretense for coming around, not that he needed one, he paid in full so nobody could rent the room out from under him.

I walked in the door after a horrible lunch date, (yeah, another one of those)and saw BJ in his room getting ready to button his shirt up and head who knew where, but he was in the kitchen; public space. I walked over behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist with a hug. What brings you to Chicago? I asked, and moved away toward the sink for a glass of water, I suppose you could say I let my hands slide off him on my way. Oh, and did you know you always, ALWAYS, smell like the beach at the ocean, or like muddy campsites? I smiled and laughed.
I wasn't thinking about sex, I wasn't thinking about coming on to him.

***Two Months later***
Boyd was back again, and things were normal. I couldn't meet him for lunch because I had a doctors appointment, so we opted for dinner instead.

Listen, Dr. Williams; I can't be pregnant... I just can't!

Dr. Williams: I'm sorry, but you are pregnant; and according to the ultra sounds you're two months in. Here, take these print outs, and the lab results. I want you to go home and relax and when you've done that, call me and we'll talk about what's next.

Keeley: I picked up the pile of "stuff" from the Doctor, and went home. Walking in, I dropped it all on the counter and went to take a shower. I didn't pay attention to see if BJ was there, or out or what. I wound up sitting in the shower, sobbing relentlessly. I think it took 30 minutes for the water to turn cold and force me out. I wrapped myself in a big terry robe, and went back downstairs, maybe some tea would help.

I stepped into the kitchen and saw that BJ had found the papers etc. where I had dropped them. I couldn't tell if he had connected the dots or not, I couldn't tell how he felt about what he saw. I wondered if he would say something, but since he was just looking at me with a question in his eyes; I decided to just get it over with. "I'm pregnant, and you should know that the baby is yours."

BJ: How? When?
Keely: Are you serious? You need to ask me that..?
BJ: But we're always careful.
Keely: Yea, we are. and yet I'm pregnant. I stated, indicating the papers.
BJ: I have to go. I turned and walked out the door.

Keely: Unreal. I can't believe he just walked out like that! Boyd, my friend with sometimes benefits.. heck, that doesn't even feel right. BJ, my childhood friend; who I've never ever lied to or deceived and he walked out on me like I told him I was from another planet or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment